The thief left it behind: the moon at my window - Ryokan

Friday, September 19, 2008

Why is there beauty?

Dscf5315

Someone asked me this question today:

"why is there beauty?"

Interesting question, I thought.


This was my response:

I just asked my daughter how she'd answer your question
and her reply was:
"beauty is food for the soul"
and I responded:
"does this mean so called 'ugliness' is not?"
and she said:
"ugliness is food for thought"

I enjoyed the playfulness of her response

I personally do not think there's anything such as beauty
- rather it's a perception which we create or do not create.

Right now the chat is unfolding with my daughter (she's in London and I'm in South Africa) and she's just said something rather nice:

"anyway, that's why we need beauty, for its positive energy. Coz it's love in another form"

I like that ;)

What do you think?

6 comments:

Art and Poetry said...

Thanks love in another form sounds good to me too!
I think there is a link between beauty and truth this can be seen in mathematics and Astronomy and in the little things in life, but I do not understand this.

HummingBird said...

do you study science and mathematics?
I have heard if one goes deeply enough into these areas it becomes quite spectacular

CG Walters said...

This article was featured in the CelebraZine: 18 Oct 08, http://kathmandau.blogspot.com/2008/10/celebrazine-18-oct-08.html
Thank you for all the good work you do, Anna.
Blessings to you and all you hold dear,
...love,
CG

HummingBird said...

Thank you dear CG. Much love to you and Kathy

Mark said...

Your daughter is very wise. Love is beauty and beauty is love and beauty is a matter of perspective. In love all is beautiful!

HummingBird said...

So true! thank you, Mark